xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' [Decorated Guardrails]: To Lent or Not to Lent!

Friday, March 21, 2014

To Lent or Not to Lent!

Lent this year is March 5th- April 17th. I have read several articles from both sides of the arguments as to whether or not one should participate in Lent. This year I decided to take the plunge. Lent is basically a chance to give up something for a selected period of time in order to achieve some goal. Some use this event purely as a chance to discipline themselves, others as a chance to give up something in order benefit their health or fitness. In a religious context it can be used to give up something in order to be less distracted, spend more time reading the Bible, in prayer, etc.

I have always been told by every coach that I ever played for “go big, or go home.” So for Lent this year I decided I would go big, I gave up dieting. To say it has been a struggle would be an understatement. At times I wake in the middle of the night, my mind and body screaming for a dry salad without cheese or croutons. Over the past few weeks I have found I can drown those screams out with a doughnut, sometimes it takes two.

I am grateful for those around me who have been willing to keep me accountable, I am sure that I couldn't do this alone. While going through the drive through at Burger King I almost ordered the SatisFries in a moment of weakness, realizing how close I was to failure, I redoubled my efforts, skipped the fries and had a double whopper with cheese.

As I write this post, I am not looking for applause, I haven’t finished yet, I still have a few LONG weeks to go. But I am confident that I can make this work and if I do, for Lent next year I am thinking about giving up turn signals!



No comments :

Post a Comment