xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' [Decorated Guardrails]: Is Anyone Else Tired?

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Is Anyone Else Tired?

Yesterday I read this verse as part of studying- 2 Thessalonians 3:13 “But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good.” I happened to be pretty weary as I read it.

We have just finished a major remodeling job in our sanctuary, had a week of VBS, and still managed to complete the other tasks that fall on a Pastor during those times: preaching, hospital visits, board meetings, etc. It has been awesome to see God work through our church! The auditorium looks amazing and VBS was great! We had more kids come out than we planned for, the workers were a big help, and the Gospel was given clearly each night.

After the craziness of June, both ministry and personally, I am worn out. As I read that verse my first thought was almost a complaint. “Lord, there is so much more to be done, why am I so tired? Give me some more energy to get this stuff done!” As if somehow the Lord owed it to me to give me more energy, or that the verse somehow offered a promise of never being fatigued. But as I thought over the verse and allowed the Lord to work it into my heart, it was a huge challenge and encouragement!

This verse is a challenge to not get tired of doing good. It isn't that we don’t get tired, we all do. It is challenge of the heart, even when you are physically exhausted, love doing right. We are saturated by a world that loves so many distractions and as they see us they should notice what we love. They should notice that even when we are tired we still do right. How many times have offered an excuse for a bad response as “I am just tired”? Tiredness often just reveals more of our selfish, prideful hearts. When the events of life press on you, love doing right.


So today, I am at work, still tired, but excited to do right (and really looking forward to vacation in a little over a week!).  

No comments :

Post a Comment