xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' [Decorated Guardrails]: Leaders are Communicators

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Leaders are Communicators

As I have done several times already, I want to discuss what I am learning. The board here at Mountain Home Bible Church is working through "The Conviction to Lead" by Albert Mohler. Once again it is good to be sharpened. 

Let me start with quoting the book:

pg. 94- "Convictional leadership begins with a commitment to truth and a relentless desire to see others know and believe that same truth. But communication is a form of warfare. The leader is always fighting apathy, confusion, lack of direction, and competing voices. The wise leader understands this warfare and enters it eagerly."

He then gives 3 essential hallmarks of powerful communication: clarity, consistency and courage.

This is a great and simple way of reminding me of making sure that I intentionally communicate truth. In a world full of mixed messages, and subtle hints, we should be a group of clear communicators. Over the years I have been guilty of trying to get to the working before we getting through the communication step. That often, especially in my case, came from a faulty view that communication wasn't working. Communication is working, and it is essential to successfully leading people. 

As Christians we need to know where we are going and intentionally lead people there. In order to do this we will often repeat the same message over and over. Not because we don't have anything else to say, but because we realize that the message we have been given is essential. As the world remains far from God, speaking this message will require courage. 

May we accurately portray the Gospel with intentional communication. Be bold, speak truth.

No comments :

Post a Comment