xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' [Decorated Guardrails]: Why I would Preach the Funeral of a Gay Person

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Why I would Preach the Funeral of a Gay Person

Over the past few days controversy has stormed in our small town and surrounding areas. The charge was made that 2 local pastors, of whom I am not personally familiar, refused to do the graveside service of a gay man. Most of the original article that stirred the waters has since been found to be mostly untrue, but the issue is out there and needs to be addressed.

Just a few minutes ago our local paper called and they are doing a survey of pastors in our area, we have 70 plus churches in the area. They wanted to know my position and what I would do if I was asked to do the funeral. So here was my response:

How I choose who I will do a funeral for:
  • Are they a person? (I don't do animal funerals, unless it is our pet and my kids want one)
  • Will I have the freedom to preach the Gospel?
  • Is the purpose of the funeral to glorify God, or glorify man or sin?
    • I don't do funerals where the family wants to glorify sin over God.
If I choose to not preach a funeral because a particular sin is evidenced in the deceased persons life, which lists of sins would I have to use? I have never preached a funeral for a perfect person before. I have preached the funerals of some godly men, and I have preached the funerals of drug addicts who committed suicide, but they were all sinners. 

As with every funeral our church hosts, I give the same guidelines, we don't glorify the sins of men, we glorify the glory and graciousness of God. It is my desire to minister the Gospel of Jesus to people who are hurting and need him. I can't imagine a more needy place than a funeral of a sinner.


No comments :

Post a Comment